Highlawn Inn History

Built as Highlawn toward the end of the 1890s by the Honorable Algernon R. Unger. The home was built for Chaffie Ziler, Unger’s bride. Unger was a member of the West Virginia state senate 13th district from 1885-88. He also constructed the Washington Hotel, a landmark in Berkeley Springs, which was destroyed by fire in 1974. After Unger’s death, his widow provided lodging out of Highlawn for people passing through town or staying to visit.

[Read More...]

The current owners bought the building in 1984 to operate as the Highlawn Inn. They have meticulously restored the inn to its original elegance. The inn is located in a district near other historic sites such as the Berkeley Castle and The Museum of the Berkeley Springs. Highlawn is a contributing structure to the colonial-era Bath Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places.