Highlawn Inn History
Built as Highlawn toward the end of the 1890s by the Honorable Algernon R. Unger. The home was built for Chaffie Ziler, Unger’s bride. Unger was a member of the West Virginia state senate 13th district from 1885-88. He also constructed the Washington Hotel, a landmark in Berkeley Springs, which was destroyed by fire in 1974. After Unger’s death, his widow provided lodging out of Highlawn for people passing through town or staying to visit.
The current owners bought the building in 1984 to operate as the Highlawn Inn. They have meticulously restored the inn to its original elegance. The inn is located in a district near other historic sites such as the Berkeley Castle and The Museum of the Berkeley Springs. Highlawn is a contributing structure to the colonial-era Bath Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places.